Lions Put 10 Past Baht’atters

Guiseley 10 – 1 Ilkley

In the First Round of the West Riding County Cup, Ilkley Town AFC were outclassed by a strong Guiseley AFC side. The hosts took a two goal advantage before Nathan Hunt’s excellent finish gave the Baht’atters a glimmer of hope, but eight goals without reply from the Northern Premier League outfit saw Town bow out at the first hurdle, writes Matthew Lambe.

As is usually the case, the underdogs started promisingly and were evidently up for the occasion. Despite being three leagues below the Lions, Sam Dexter’s side began enthusiastically and recorded the first shot on target in the first minute. The captain, Harry Brown, was destined to open the scoring but Guiseley goalkeeper Wade palmed his powerful finish out for a corner.

However, Guiseley took the lead in the 8th minute, as Johnson bundled a low cross past Charlie Bell. The Lions doubled their advantage within a few minutes with Valsau nodding a delivery home.

The Baht’atters regained their composure after an unfortunate start and were able to still play attractive football despite the intense Guiseley press. At the other end of the Nethermoor, Nicc Hewitt denied a third with a well-timed challenge in the box.

Hunt added another goal to his already impressive season tally, to bring his side within one. He received possession following smart build-up play from Brown and Kevin Gonzalez before finishing into the bottom corner past Wade, sending the Nethermoor into chants of ‘on Ilkley Moor Baht’at’.

Ilkley even had a chance to draw level after Gonzalez beat ex-England u18 player Courtney Meppen-Walter for pace before squaring to Hunt – but he was unable to convert.

Following this, the hosts added a third, with talismanic attacker Tom Denton chipping over Bell to restore their two-goal cushion.

In the final 15 minutes before half time, Guiseley showed their class by scoring a further four, bringing the scoreline to 7-1. Although it wouldn’t have had an impact on the result, Ilkley weren’t helped by the half time whistle being blown while Hunt was through on goal.

Following half time, the Baht’atters proved more defensively resilient but were unable to prevent three more for the Lions.

Next up, Town’s focus returns to the league, travelling across the Pennines to Ashton Town on Saturday 7 October.

Next Home Game
Droyslden FC visit the MPM Stadium in the First Round of the Edward Case Cup on Tuesday 10 October, in what will be the first meeting of the two sides.