Late goal blitz sees Ilkley win

Miraculous comeback from Ilkley Town gives them the win against Route One Rovers
Ilkley pulled off an incredible comeback last night at the Marley Stadium against Route One Rovers as they somehow overturned a 1-3 deficit to eventually win 4-3 in the dying minutes of the game, writes Evan Seaman.
For much of the game, The Baht ‘atters barely threatened in front of goal and failed to have a shot until the second half, however the game suddenly sprung into action for them late in the match.
At the start of the game Route One Rovers took control of the game and gave Ilkley a warning when they nearly went through on goal, but keeper Jordan Moorhouse came out to collect to keep the score goalless for now.
However, Ilkley’s resilience did not last long when Anees Younis sprinted past Nicholas Brayshaw before tucking the ball into the bottom corner to open the scoring for the hosts.
For the rest of the first 45 minutes Ilkley really struggled to keep hold of the ball and looked second best for much of the half, so a half time break to recharge batteries was much needed.
It did not take Sam Dexter’s side long to get back onto level terms in the second half when Takuo Jitsukawa got on the end of a long throw-in before heading it in from close range to make the score 1-1.
But the game took another twist when Route One Rovers grabbed two goals in very quick succession, courtesy of Callan Parker-Wells and Zakariya Khan and the crowd erupted in the Varley Boilers stand.
Until the 85th minute, Ilkley looked like they were heading for their first defeat of the campaign. However, Ilkley’s Nicc Hewitt had other ideas who picked up the ball on the edge of the box after a corner before curling it into the top corner to give them a glimmer of hope.
Then deep into stoppage time, in what can only be described as a bonanza, Nathan Hunt hit a very late brace to give Ilkley a massive three points as they kept their unbeaten streak going for another game.
It certainly took a whole new meaning to the phrase “leaving it late”, but Sam Dexter and his team will definitely take the win and their fightback highlights the character in their squad.
Ilkley Manager Sam Dexter had this to say after the game
“There is certainly never a dull moment with us. Far from our best tonight & work to be done but we must give a lot of credit to Route One Rovers. I am so proud of our players who don’t know when they are beaten & somehow find a way. Thanks to those who supported tonight”
The games are now coming thick and fast though as Ilkley are back at the MPM Stadium on Saturday when they host Atherton LR which will be another tricky test for them.